Winning the race to bring new healthcare products safely to market drives Rapid Micro Biosystems (RMB) to combine today’s innovative technologies as never before. Your career at RMB puts you at the center of diverse global teams that span robotics, AI, Machine Learning, imaging, microbiology, and more, re-shaping how urgently needed pharmaceuticals are made, tested, and released for decades to come. The sky’s the limit.
Careers at RMB are fast-moving, with the high growth you’d expect from a world leader in microbiology automation. Advancement at RMB affords an opportunity to achieve your personal goals and develop your passions, in an inclusive environment where every employee has the resources and opportunities to hone their skills. You’ll do more, learn more, and can make a profound impact on our business.
The 2nd Shift Automation Manufacturing Engineer will have responsibility for day-to-day manufacturing floor support for the Consumables manufacturing processes. This includes supporting the evaluation, analysis, and implementation of projects driving Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost improvements within the manufacturing scope. This position interacts closely with the Operations team as well as several engineering disciplines such as Sustaining Engineering, Research and Development, Supply Chain, Quality, Field Service, and Customer Support. Additionally, this position requires problem-solving skills and technical knowledge (Lean, A3, DMAIC) and must be able to manage complex projects to a successful and timely conclusion. This role will support the business’s goal to exceed our customers’ expectations by striving for the greatest possible quality in our products, processes, and systems.
This individual will be responsible for the design, development, implementation, and sustaining of the manufacturing systems that produce Consumables for RMB. Responsibilities will also include other upstream activities such as capital equipment, facility requirements, equipment maintenance, existing and emerging manufacturing technologies, tool design, cost estimating, and configuration control. This individual will work closely with others to complete projects, analyze results, and refine engineering designs.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and develop manufacturing processes, tooling, and fixtures to meet daily production schedules while enhancing process safety, quality, and productivity.
- Evaluation and troubleshooting of production equipment and manufacturing process
- Production support and process validation (IQ, OQ, PQ, PPQ)
- Work with Sustaining Engineering, Quality, and Customer Support counterparts to address manufacturing non-conformances and customer complaints
- Generate and modify manufacturing process documentation
- Complies with company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Identification and implementation of cost reduction (yield improvement or other) opportunities and perform assessments based on impact and effort for prioritization.
- Inspects performance of machinery, equipment, and tools to verify their efficiency, and investigates and initiates corrective action of problems and deficiencies to ensure product quality.
- Utilize tools like Gage R&R, Cp, Cpk, and SPC to improve the process and first-pass yield
- Understand manufacturing and problem-solving concepts like Value Stream mapping, 6S, A3 and DAMIC to improve quality, labor efficiency, throughput, and ensuring the root cause of problem is identified and quickly resolved
- Protocol and report writing
- Communicate effectively to an audience consisting of peers and management in Engineering, Production and Quality
- Participate and/or lead partnership communication activities with downstream and upstream partners across the plant network.
- Plan, organize, and prioritize own daily work routine to meet production requirements and project schedules
- Train and/or provide work direction to operators/technicians
- Recognize quality signals and escalate appropriately, using quality system tools
- Work with vendor/suppliers to design, procure, and fabricate equipment tooling and fixtures
- Leverage existing/emerging technologies to meet business needs
- Design and coordinate standard engineering tests and experiments
- Lead project teams of small to moderate scope
- Work cooperatively with Sustaining Engineering, R&D, Quality, Production, Regulatory, Equipment Engineering, and Supply Chain to ensure project success.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or applicable field
- 0 to 2+ years of manufacturing engineering experience required.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with the ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels across different shifts in the organization.
- Be able to work independently without supervision, multitasks, prioritizes, and meets deadlines promptly.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel approximately 5%.
- Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Understand engineering principles theories, concepts, practices, and techniques
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot manufacturing processes
- Highly collaborative
UNIQUE SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS:
- Medical device or heavily regulated industry experience preferred
- Robust technical skills with a proven application on projects
- Experience with Minitab or other statistical software
- Equipment and process validation experience
- Experience with automated or robotic equipment and systems
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- This is 2nd shift position
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate in English
- Close visual acuity to work on a computer and to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of work
- Will be required to work in a cleanroom environment for extended periods
- Appropriate gowning procedures will be required for access to cleanroom (hairnet, safety glasses, cleanroom apparel/lab coats, gloves)
- Occasional environmental odors may be present
- This is not a remote or hybrid-remote position, in-person attendance is expected.
ABOUT RAPID MICRO BIOSYSTEMS:
Rapid Micro Biosystems creates, sells, validates, and services innovative products for fast, accurate, and efficient detection of microbial contamination in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, biologics, biotechnology products, medical devices, and personal care products.
The company’s Growth Direct™—the first and only growth-based system to automate rapid compendial QC Micro testing—ensures data integrity, compliance, and operational efficiencies driven by rapid methods and automation.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is dedicated to providing groundbreaking technology and products to support companies in their journey to achieve greater reliability, efficiency, and better predictability, ultimately providing higher quality products for improved patient outcomes.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is headquartered in Lexington, Massachusetts. Our research & development, and manufacturing operations are located in Lowell, Massachusetts. Additionally, we maintain field offices in Freising, Germany; Switzerland, and Singapore.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. Applicants for employment and employees are reviewed on their individual qualifications for a position. Under no circumstances will Rapid Micro Biosystems discriminate against qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
Please no phone calls or agencies, please.