Winning the race to bring new healthcare products safely to market drives Rapid Micro Biosystems (RMB) to combine today’s innovative technologies as never before. Your career at RMB puts you at the center of diverse global teams that span robotics, AI, Machine Learning, imaging, microbiology, and more, re-shaping how urgently needed pharmaceuticals are made, tested, and released for decades to come. The sky’s the limit.
Careers at RMB are fast-moving, with the high growth you’d expect from a world leader in microbiology automation. Advancement at RMB affords an opportunity to achieve your personal goals and develop your passions, in an inclusive environment where every employee has the resources and opportunities to hone their skills. You’ll do more, learn more, and can make a profound impact on our business.
The Field Service Engineer I (FSEI) is responsible for installing and maintaining Growth Direct systems to meet or exceed customer expectations. This position requires equal parts of technical troubleshooting skills and soft communication skills to deliver a professional, dependable support product that maximizes both customer satisfaction and instrument uptime while fulfilling organizational objectives. This individual must be a self-starter who is comfortable working in a dynamic, team-based environment, with the ability to adapt to fast-paced scheduling changes.
- Responds expediently to all requests for customer instrument service via communications with service office; ensures that all instrument service requests are fulfilled within area of geographical responsibility.
- Exercises judgement on service call handling and deployment. Requests support when service backlog exists. This will be accomplished via communications with service center and service management.
- Installs all instrumentation sold by Rapid Micro Biosystems, and trains customers in proper methods of operation, maintenance, and basic instrument repair procedures.
- Diagnosis and repair instrument malfunctions to the board or subassembly level and ensures that instruments operate optimally in all performance areas.
- Maintains accurate preventative maintenance schedules and ensures timely completion of all scheduled maintenance with area of geographical responsibility. During preventative maintenance responsibilities include:
- Probing customer for instrument or test related problems and recommends a course of corrective action
- Performs remedial training in correct operation and maintenance of instrumentation.
- Ensures a credible, professional service image is established
- Promote the value and benefits of service agreements.
- Maintains close contact with customers to ensure problems are corrected before leading to customer dissatisfaction.
- Advises customer on the availability of Rapid Micro Biosystems instrumentation, options, and expendables, and assists in the ordering process by contacting the appropriate sales representative.
- Completes Instrument Service Reports and Quality Assurance Checklists for each customer contact to accurately document instrumentation, customer or test related problems. Corrects problems encountered of formulates a corrective action plan which is outlined for the customer during time of contact.
- Documents recurring instrument/test related failures and should include suggestions for changes or modification to existing instrumentation, policies, manuals, or concepts.
- Completes all required departmental forms including but not limited to Instrument Service Reports, Quality Assurance Checklists, Preventative Maintenance/Verification Checklists, Repair Tags, and Weekly Time Sheets and Travel Expense Statements and makes timely submission in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
Other Related Duties:
- Maintains and controls spare parts inventory at levels compatible with repair and financial objectives.
- Ensures operating expenses fall within departmental budgetary guidelines.
- Continuously improves knowledge of Rapid Micro Biosystems policies, instrumentation and service techniques while improving interpersonal skills in an overall effort to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Provides necessary follow-up on service agreement purchase to ensure achievement of departmental revenue objectives.
- Is responsible for care, maintenance and safeguarding of all company issued property, i.e., test equipment, tools, and spare parts.
- Adhere to all Standards of Performance and meets all documented MBO's/KPI's
- Communicates frequently with Customer Success Manager, Implementations (CSMI) and sales representatives to coordinate instrument installations and action plans on customer instrument or test related problems.
- Provides technical assistance and sales support at seminars and symposia to ensure continuity of sales.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret scientifically written documentation, including organizational procedures, instrument procedures, and those from customer/regulatory agencies
- Ability to define problems, collect appropriate data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Decision making proficiency as related to prioritizing schedule, making travel choices, and recognizing when to escalate issues to management
- Computer/Microsoft Office proficiency, especially in Outlook, Excel
- Minimum of technical degree or equivalent military experience, bachelor’s degree preferred
- May be required to work on client sites for extended hours
- Weekend on-call periodically required
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds
- Requires extended travel on short notice
- Must have valid drivers license and passport
- Technical or Associates Degree required, Bachelor's Degree preferred
ABOUT RAPID MICRO BIOSYSTEMS:
Rapid Micro Biosystems creates, sells, validates, and services innovative products for fast, accurate, and efficient detection of microbial contamination in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, biologics, biotechnology products, medical devices, and personal care products.
The company’s Growth Direct™—the first and only growth-based system to automate rapid compendial QC Micro testing—ensures data integrity, compliance, and operational efficiencies driven by rapid methods and automation.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is dedicated to providing groundbreaking technology and products to support companies in their journey to achieve greater reliability, efficiency, and better predictability, ultimately providing higher quality products for improved patient outcomes.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is headquartered in Lexington, Massachusetts. Our research & development, and manufacturing operations are located in Lowell, Massachusetts. Additionally, we maintain field offices in Freising, Germany; Switzerland, and Singapore.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. Applicants for employment and employees are reviewed on their individual qualifications for a position. Under no circumstances will Rapid Micro Biosystems discriminate against qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.