Winning the race to bring new healthcare products safely to market drives Rapid Micro Biosystems (RMB) to combine today’s innovative technologies as never before. Your career at RMB puts you at the center of diverse global teams that span robotics, AI, Machine Learning, imaging, microbiology, and more, re-shaping how urgently needed pharmaceuticals are made, tested, and released for decades to come. The sky’s the limit.
Careers at RMB are fast-moving, with the high growth you’d expect from a world leader in microbiology automation. Advancement at RMB affords an opportunity to achieve your personal goals and develop your passions, in an inclusive environment where every employee has the resources and opportunities to hone their skills. You’ll do more, learn more, and can make a profound impact on our business.
The Senior Manufacturing and Automation Engineering Manager will lead the RMB Manufacturing Organization’s technical and engineering teams, reporting directly to the Senior Director of Manufacturing. The scope of leadership includes the Systems Manufacturing Engineering team, which is responsible for the processes required to manufacture robotic capital equipment, as well as the Consumables Automation and Manufacturing Engineering team, which is responsible for the performance of the high-rate automated process for consumable products. This role will be pivotal to the improvement of our existing process capabilities, growth of our manufacturing capacity now and in the future, and the design, development, and implementation of next generation technical competences.
This is a role that requires strong technical expertise, dynamic leadership and mentorship skills, and a demonstrated ability to solve problems through a structured approach. The ideal candidate will be unrelenting in their pursuit of processes that are safe, produce repeatable and high-quality results, and set our production team members up for success.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manage and lead a team of Manufacturing Engineers, Automation Engineers, and technical support personnel to develop, maintain, and execute world-class manufacturing processes.
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve existing processes, equipment, systems, and infrastructure by leveraging and setting industry best practices.
- Drive a culture of lean problem solving through daily management, structured problem solving, a strong personal presence on the manufacturing floor and in the clean room, and by enhancing the technical capabilities of the entire team.
- Lead the root-case and corrective action response and countermeasure implementation for production issues, product defects, customer complaints, and any other technical challenge that may arise.
- Design, build, upgrade, and maintain global automation equipment and commercial designs.
- Work with third party system integrators to deliver high-quality automation equipment.
- Direct and provide leadership for developing, testing, and implementing new or modified manufacturing or capital equipment.
- Develop and implement robust, scalable, and high-quality solutions for new product introductions (NPI) in the manufacturing environment.
- Develop and maintain a 5-year global manufacturing and automation roadmap, including new technologies, improvements to existing processes, and future technology upgrades.
- Develop and maintain robust process and system documentation that is effective for operator, technician, field service, and contract manufacturing use. Manage supporting compliance activities for documentation.
- Partner with existing and new suppliers to deliver products, solutions, and contract manufacturing capabilities.
- Partner with the Sustaining Engineering organization to improve the manufacturability and cost performance of our products.
- Coordinate manufacturing and automation capital projects for the company.
- Manage and perform technical writing, proposals, vendor selection, and budgetary analysis for new projects
- Network internally and externally to bring new and fresh ideas to the company.
- Support budget development, responsible for budget adherence
- Develop future site and global manufacturing/automation design philosophy, standards, and project implementation methods as necessary to achieve projected growth.
- Provide mentorship and training to entire staff, including dotted line technical resources.
- Lead the problem solving and technical analyses on manufacturing processes, equipment, and automation systems
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in an Engineering field
- 5 to 10 years of experience in a technical, highly regulated manufacturing environment
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing and leading a team of engineers
- Proven skills and qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to dramatically improve the performance of manufacturing processes
- Experience specifying, procuring, installing, and commissioning large capital equipment projects
- Strong root-cause corrective action (RCCA) experience
- Expertise with structured problem-solving approaches such as DMAIC and A3
- Demonstrated leadership and mentorship of technical talent
- Ability to influence peers, management, direct reports, and production team members to accomplish goals
- Ability to travel approximately 10%
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously
- Ability to maintain predictable attendance
- Customer-driven mentality
- Collaborative style that works to eliminate silos for the betterment of the company
- Unrelenting approach to breaking down barriers to progress
- Respect-based style that inspires the team to build a trusting, positive environment
- Data and evidence driven, while being biased towards action
- Direct-line responsibility for a team of salaried, exempt Manufacturing and Automation Engineers
- Dotted-line responsibility for select hourly, non-exempt technical resources
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English.
- Close visual acuity to work on a computer and to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of work.
- Appropriate gowning procedures will be required for access to the cleanroom (hairnet, safety glasses, cleanroom apparel/lab coats, gloves)
- Occasional environmental odors may be present.
- May require occasional on-call responsibilities to support multi-shift manufacturing environment.
- This is not a remote or hybrid-remote position, in-person attendance is expected.
ABOUT RAPID MICRO BIOSYSTEMS:
Rapid Micro Biosystems creates, sells, validates, and services innovative products for fast, accurate, and efficient detection of microbial contamination in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, biologics, biotechnology products, medical devices, and personal care products.
The company’s Growth Direct™—the first and only growth-based system to automate rapid compendial QC Micro testing—ensures data integrity, compliance, and operational efficiencies driven by rapid methods and automation.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is dedicated to providing groundbreaking technology and products to support companies in their journey to achieve greater reliability, efficiency, and better predictability, ultimately providing higher quality products for improved patient outcomes.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is headquartered in Lexington, Massachusetts. Our research & development, and manufacturing operations are located in Lowell, Massachusetts. Additionally, we maintain field offices in Freising, Germany; Switzerland, and Singapore.
Rapid Micro Biosystems is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. Applicants for employment and employees are reviewed on their individual qualifications for a position. Under no circumstances will Rapid Micro Biosystems discriminate against qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
Please no phone calls or agencies.